FREE SHIPPING on orders over $25
How to have a safe and fun 4th of July celebration
by Household Essentials • June 26, 2020
Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels
How to have a safe and fun 4th of July celebrationCan you smell the hotdogs and hamburgers? Can you feel the splash of the ocean waves as you watch the fighter jets zoom above you for the annual Air Show? Can you taste the ice-cold ice cream as you watch the fireworks from afar? Fireworks, picnics, pool-side parties, beach gatherings, and parades all make up the fun festivities of the Fourth of July.
With all the fun memories being made, it is also important to follow some simple tips that will help keep you, your family, and friends safe from any danger or accidents.
We compressed several safety tips that were recommended by FEMA (The US Department of Homeland Services) and The American Red Cross so that you can take preventative measures beforehand this Fourth of July.
Photo by Tairon Fernandez from Pexels
Firework SafetyEveryone loves the way a firework can light up the sky with its elaborate colors, but it is also important to remember that they are extremely dangerous if not handled properly. For the best protection, never handle fireworks or be around someone who is inexperienced with fireworks. However, if you are experienced, keep these tips in mind for extra safety:
1. Always store fireworks in cool, dry places away from the reach of children or pets.
2. Never allow a child to handle fireworks.
3. Always wear eye protection.
4. Keep a bucket of water close by just in case you need to put out the firework.
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels
Food HandlingHamburgers and hotdogs are the All-American meal for the Fourth of July. Nothing would ruin a great BBQ’d meal than poor food handling. Here are some tips to follow as you prepare food for your friends and family.
1. Keep the raw meats and veggies separate to prevent cross-contamination. You don’t want any of your guests leaving with food poisoning. Keep your salads and other veggies in something like the Leifheit Stainless Steel Salad Spinner Serving Bowl. Not only does this serving bowl prevent cross-contamination, but it keeps flies and other critters away.
2. Another way to prevent cross-contamination is to keep the tongs used for meats separate from other serving utensils used for veggies, salads, condiments, and desserts. The Leifheit 2in1 Spatula Tongs are perfect for BBQing those yummy hamburgers and hotdogs.
3. Keep your perishable foods cold or hot. If you have a perishable beverage that can spoil in the sun, the Leifheit Columbus Carafe is perfect for maintaining an optimal temperature for those delicious drinks.
4. Always wash your hands before handling food and switching between handling meats to veggies.
Photo by Yulianto Poitier from Pexels
Poolside and Beach SafetyBeing at the beach or pool is one of the best things to do on the Fourth of July. Here are some precautions you can take while having some fun in the sun.
1. If you will be celebrating with kids, make sure they know how to swim. If they don’t know or if they are still new to swimming make sure they have a lifejacket.
2. Always swim sober.
3. If you see someone drowning, call the lifeguard on duty for help.
4. Don’t dive headfirst into the pool.
5. Be mindful of the current at the beach and make sure you stay within proximity to the shore so that you don’t unexpectedly get caught in a current.
6. If you are out at the beach or at your home pool, it is great to have a drying rack and mesh laundry bags to take care of wet clothes and swimsuits.
Have a Happy Fourth of July this year! We hope these tips remind you to take some safety precautions while celebrating with your friends and family. Do you have some tips that weren’t mentioned here? Let us know in the comments below!